What is GSHIP?

Graduate Student Health Insurance (GSHIP) is a health insurance plan offered through UC Riverside. GSHIP is mandatory for all graduate students who are not enrolled in comparable private health insurance plan. If you are interested in a waiver, please review these instructions on how to waive out of GSHIP.

What is GSA’s Role in GSHIP?

The UCR GSHIP coverage is determined by the collaboration of the UCSHIP Executive Committee, UCSHIP Advisory Board and UCR SHIP Committee. The GSHIP Officer works with the UCR SHIP Committee, comprising of SHS staff, undergraduate students and graduate students. The GSHIP Officer also participates with the UCSHIP Advisory Committee, consisting of students from other UC universities and UCSHIP board members. 

Student insurance concerns are raised and discussed at the UCR SHIP Committee and UCSHIP Advisory Committee meetings. Recommended changes to the UCSHIP are enacted by the UCSHIP Executive Committee. To volunteer on the UCR SHIP Committee, please contact GSA.

If you have general questions about GSHIP and GSA feel free and contact your GSHIP Officer at gship.gsa@ucr.edu

What does GSHIP Cost?

Visit the Student Health Services website for the most up to date costs for GSHIP

How is your GSHIP paid for?

GSHIP is paid for in the following ways: 

1. For teaching assistants, readers, and student researchers, the yearly GSHIP premium is paid for by your department or campus employer. This is automatic along with partial tuition reimbursement. It is your responsibility to confirm payment for your GSHIP premium. It is suggested you confirm with your department or employer that your GSHIP fees will be paid. 

2. For those without department coverage for your premium, you will see a separate charge on your student financial summary for your GSHIP Premium, which you are required to pay. Payment can be by personal funds, financial aid, etc. 

3. If you have comparable insurance coverage (which meets the minimum requirements set by UCR) you can waive out of GSHIP by filling out the appropriate waiver form. Only one waiver form is required per academic year. Contact SHS for the most up to date waiver information at (951) 827-3031 and/or visit their websiteNote: There are deadlines for waivers, so check in with SHS early if you plan to waive out of GSHIP!

How does GSHIP coverage work?

GSHIP coverage includes services provided by the Student Health Services (SHS), UCSHIP/Anthem Blue Cross (Medical and Vision) and Delta Dental. Student Health Services are free to all students with GSHIP and require no co-pay. A co-pay will be required, and will vary in amount, for services outside Student Health. 

All services outside of Student Health require a referral form from Student Health (with a few exceptions). No referral is needed for emergency services or when you are outside a 50 mile radius from UC Riverside. Contact Student Health at (951) 827-3031 for appointments, questions or for referrals. 

Click here for more information about your GSHIP services, such as deductibles, copayments and more! 

How do I get my insurance cards?

Click for instructions to get electronic versions of your insurance cards

How can I add a spouse or dependent to my insurance?

New dependent coverage! Beginning with the 2016–17 academic year, students covered by UC SHIP can enroll their eligible dependents in the same medical, dental and vision coverage they have for themselves. Enroll dependents through the Wells Fargo Insurance Services Customer Care for UC SHIP Voluntary Student and Dependent Coverage by calling (800) 853-5899. Wells Fargo can provide you with information about rates for dependents.A dependent can be enrolled anytime during the year, but it would need to be due to a qualifying event (birth, marriage, loss of prior coverage, etc.) and they must enroll within 31 days from the qualifying event date.  Otherwise, dependents can only enroll during the enrollment period, which is 31 days before and after the term start date.

How do I waive my GSHIP?

Click for instructions on how to waive out of GSHIP.

Have more questions?

Click for FAQ (frequently answered questions).

We are here to help! 

Please contact the GSHIP Officer.

Student Health Services: (951) 827-3031